What is CBD?
Cannabidiol or CBD is one of the most important compounds of the cannabis plant. Cannabis plants produce more than 400 different compounds. Many of these compounds appear in other species of plants but a few dozens of them are unique to the genus Cannabis. These special compounds are called “cannabinoids.” However, not all cannabinoids have the same potency and therapeutic effects. A few cannabinoids are more potent than others. One of the few potent ones is CBD, and it holds the key to the wide variety of medicinal uses of cannabis.
What Does CBD do?
CBD is one of the two main cannabinoid compounds which the cannabis plant produces. Besides THC, it is one of the most powerful compounds the plant possesses. CBD has natural medicinal properties which can be used for treating a host of diseases and psychological conditions. CBD is a chemical compound which acts on the endocannabinoid system. The therapeutic properties of the compound have been proven to have significant positive effects on the human body.
Here are some of the benefits of using CBD:
- Relieve from Chronic Pain and Inflammation. This cannabis compound alters pain by blocking neuron transmissions in pain pathways.
- Acts as an antipsychotic drug. CBD contains antipsychotic effects and also treats the symptoms and effects of psychosis which may be caused by psychoactive compounds such as THC.
- Fights cancer. It has been scientifically proven that CBD contains anti-proliferative, pro-apoptotic effects that impede cancer cell movement, integration and invasion.
- Regulates Blood Sugar and Treats Diabetes. Cannabis has also been shown to positively affect glucose and insulin resistance levels in adults. It treats chronic inflammation, a condition that inhibits the production of insulin in the body.
- It promotes cardiovascular health. Cannabidiol acts an active compound in the protection of the cardiovascular system against the effects of chronic inflammation.
So now you know how beneficial CBD is to your health and you can’t wait to get your hands on a product. You can opt for CBD oil, capsules, tinctures or topicals but whatever it is you plan on buying, it’s crucial you know what you’re looking for. There are countless CBD products on the market and you can get overwhelmed with the various types of CBD products available. You could use some clarification and guidance. Here are some things to look for.
- Concentration of CBD
The concentration amount of each CBD product should be clearly stated on the pack. Many CBD consumers will agree that this is the most important aspect to look for. The concentration of CBD in a particular product denotes how much CBD is added to the total volume, and that shows the strength of the product.
- CBD Volume vs. Hemp Volume
In as much as CBD doesn’t get you high, it is still important to know the dosage of the medicine you will be using. Hemp oil contains very low levels of CBD, while pure CBD oil contains the higher levels necessary for treating various physical and mental health conditions. Make sure the product is clear about its CBD volume levels and quantity of hemp oil.
- How and Where the Plant is grown
As you shop for CBD supplements online, check if the manufacturer has top quality growing and harvesting standards. All forms of cannabis plants absorb compounds and chemicals from the soil. Keep in mind that how this chemical powerhouse of a plant is grown is enormously vital to the safety and quality of your CBD supplement. CBD products made from plants grown without using chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides will produce quality CBD supplements that are safe for consumption.
- How the CBD Oil is processed
Companies with the best practices in the marijuana industry extract CBD oil with the safest methods. Oil extracted from the plant using a supercritical CO2 process is the safest to consume. Some companies may use chemical solvents like acetone and hexane, which can linger in the extracted oil if not filtered correctly. This makes the oil toxic and dangerous to consume.
- The Manufacturer’s Track Record
Due to the growing demand for CBD, many new CBD product retailers have emanated. Some of these companies lack quality and safety standards and processes. It is important that you buy your CBD supplements online from a company that has a proven track record of producing safe and high quality CBD products.
The future of CBD is an interesting one, as we all know what benefits we can get from it and how to get it. CBD is an effective and safe medicine that fights back against even the most serious diseases. It is in fact, one of the most remarkable compounds in the natural world.